St Michael's Woolmer GreenVA C of E School
'Shine as Lights in the World'
1900 – St Michael's church was built
The church opposite St Michael's school (St Michael's church) was built leading up to 1900 and was consecrated, alongside the burial ground on 3rd November 1900. The drawings showed how the church was envisaged, but the church tower proved impossible to raise sufficient funds for.
The church bell was originally part of the school and it is said that it was bought from the school in 1931 for £10!
1901 – School ‘excellent’ in inspection
"The discipline and instruction of this excellent school deserve the highest praise, and the progress made in all the subjects of instruction is most satisfactory."
1903 – Schoolmaster’s House built
The school house, which is in front of the preschool, between the school and the Chequers pub, was built in 1903. This first housed Mr and Mrs Stacey (Lampson and Emily) who took over the school joint headship and successfully ran the school for 23 years, until they retired in 1927.
The school master (Mr Stacey) was also the church choirmaster at the church, the churchwarden and the treasurer!
The school was only at this time the front building, in which there were three classes.
The Village Flower show was a regular event arranged by the school, with Mr Stacey (Head teacher) the chief organiser. This was held on the last Saturday of July each year, in the meadow opposite the church. “The whole village took part and there was great competition among one and all.”